I remember when I was pregnant with my first child, I was so excited to go to our local Babies ‘R Us and register for our upcoming baby shower. I thought I knew exactly what I wanted and what I would need to raise our impending bundle of joy. Until we got there. One trip to a baby store these days can leave your head spinning. There are so many different items and brands that it can be hard to decide what you really need and what is just a waste of money and space. Then you are given a list of items and how many of that item to register for.So like good, new parents we followed that list to a tee. And it turned out we didn’t need half of that stuff after all. Now obviously every baby is different and every situation is different, but I made a list of my must have baby items, that I use on a regular basis and the organic brands that I prefer.
(Side Note: before purchasing anything for baby I always look at the age range and maximum weight to determine if it is truly worth purchasing.)
- Lifefactory glass bottles: These are the best bottles money can by. Glass is always best because it does not leach any toxins and it does not alter the taste of liquids. There is a silicone cover on the bottles that helps to prevent the glass from breaking when dropped. I hook these right into my medela breast pump and pump directly into them. They come in a variety of colors and while expensive they can be used for many many years. Lifefactory sells sippy cup tops so it can convert to a sippy cup and also twist on caps so they can be used to store snacks as well.
- Under the Nile muslin swaddling blankets: Swaddling blankets are a must have for baby. I find that I can never have enough. Besides for swaddling baby for most of the day and night, but they also make a really good nursing cover as well. We also roll them and use them to cushion baby in the car seat in the first month of life (before baby grows into his/her seat). These ones are GOTS certified organic and very lightweight. They come in nice colors and last a long time. Under the Nile also sells really nice organic clothes and stuffed toys (which I also love for baby). As well as small rugs and big rugs which I use for play mats and tummy time mats and also for travel changing pads.
- Baby Bjorn bouncer: This is one of the only bouncers I could find that was completely free of flame retardants. The bouncer chair comes in a variety of colors and fabrics, that are all Oeko-tex certified. The one that I have pictured (also the one that I have personally) is the only one that is made from certified organic cotton as well. The seat adjusts to 3 different levels and moves with baby’s movements (as opposed to battery operated). Another high ticket item, however, I think it is worth it and it can be used up to age 2- which I can testify to because my 2 year old loves to climb in it and bounce as well.
- Mountain Buggy Nano Stroller: A lightweight stroller for use from 6 months and up. However, you can hook a newborn car seat into it if you want. While it is a little bit of a challenge to fold up at times, I prefer this one to other strollers because it does not contain any heavy metals or flame retardants which is important. They also have a double stroller that I would love to get, but it is a little out of my price range for now.
- Burt’s Bees Baby sleepers: GOTS certified organic sleepers and outfits. More affordable than some other organic brands and they come in a lot of different styles. Burts Bees Baby clothes are available on a number of different websites and I have also purchased in stores like Target and Buy Buy Baby as well. They also have a kids line that goes up to size 7, so all 3 of my boys currently wear these clothes (and I love that all 3 of them can match 😉 )
- Ergobaby Carrier: This is one of my favorite baby items and in my own humble opinion worth every single penny. Since having my third child, I just can’t help but feel that I don’t have enough hands, but this makes everything a little bit easier. I put my baby in it, then my 2 year old in the stroller and my 6 year old walks along the stroller…a piece of cake- kind of lol. I do not know what I would do without it! I have tried other brands in the past, but this is the only one that evenly distributes weight between the shoulders and hips, making it very comfortable to wear. I personally own the certified organic one that is pictured but they also have non-organic options that cost a little bit less, as well. It can be used from day 1 (with the newborn insert) and then up to 45 pounds. My son loves being carried around in it and will usually sleep the entire time, plus it gives me an extra little work out carrying him around.
I would love to know what must have baby items you have!!