Whether you are bottle feeding your baby or nursing your baby an organic and non-toxic nursing pillow (a.k.a. a breastfeeding pillow) helps keep your baby in a comfortable position with all the extra support you need.
As a nursery nurse, the one thing that I always recommended to new moms to get to help with positioning at the beginning of their breastfeeding journey, was a really good nursing pillow. Breastfeeding a newborn certainly has a learning curve and a nursing pillow is the one thing that will help keep your baby in the perfect position every time, making breastfeeding so much easier in those early days.
This post may contain affiliate links. I promise to only recommend products that I use with my own children. You can read my full affiliate disclosure policy here.
Benefits of a Nursing Pillow
There are a lot of really good benefits to using a nursing pillow while feeding your baby.
According to many lactation consultants that I know, a great nursing pillow can:
- it can provide you with additional support to help keep your baby at the right height while trying to get your baby to latch on. This is super helpful when you begin breastfeeding for the first time.
- a nursing pillow will keep your baby’s head in the best position to help maintain a good latch
- it will provide you with the perfect amount of back support, which is so important because breastfeeding can be hard on the back
- they are also perfect for feeding your baby in different positions
If you prefer, you can also stack up a regular pillow or two, but it may not work as well. The wraparound design of a nursing pillow, allows it to hug your body and stay in the most comfortable and proper position.
Why Should I Choose an Organic Nursing Pillow?
Imagine every time you went to feed your newborn baby you were laying them on a pillow that was full of all kinds of toxic chemicals. And your sweet little baby was breathing these hazardous chemicals and absorbing them through their delicate and sensitive skin. I know that is not something that you want, which is why it is so important to choose a nursing pillow that is made from GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standard)-certified organic materials.
It is also really important to be aware of green-washing when it comes to Organic Nursing Pillows. There are many companies that sell “organic” pillows that may have a certified organic cotton cover but the filling inside is not actually made from organic, natural materials at all and is instead made from synthetic materials.
Make sure to thoroughly research all of the materials that your chosen pillow is made from and that it is completely organic as opposed to certain parts of it.
Materials to Avoid in Non-Organic Pillows
Many of the popular nursing pillows contain toxic materials that you will want to avoid. Some of these ingredients are:
- Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs): VOCs are chemicals that vaporize into gasses and then are released into the environment. Breathing these chemicals in can lead to a number of different symptoms, ranging from mild symptoms such as headaches, nausea, and sinus irritations. And then more severe symptoms like organ damage, childhood cancers, and developmental delays.1
- Flame Retardants: Flame retardants are highly toxic and very dangerous for everyone, especially babies who have small, developing bodies. Flame retardants can easily leach out and get into the dust and the air. They can cause cancer, and endocrine disorders, as well as affect your baby’s neurological development.2
- Polyurethane Foam: A synthetic filling used in many non-organic nursing pillows. It is treated with flame retardants, because it is highly flammable, and off-gasses many VOCs as well.
- Pesticides: If your pillow is made from conventional cotton then it has been treated with pesticides at some point. Exposure to pesticides can cause certain childhood cancers and developmental issues.3
The 7 Best Organic Nursing Pillows
These are the best organic nursing pillows for feeding your baby. You can truly feel good about choosing any of the pillows on this list and know that you are getting the best quality and safest pillow around. These pillows come with a few different options for filling. They have either wool, kapok, or buckwheat hulls inside of them, so you can choose whichever one meets your needs best.
Holy Lamb Organics Bo Peep
The Holy Lamb Organics Bo Peep is one of the best nursing pillows you can buy. It also has the cutest name. This is the nursing pillow that I own and have used through many babies and pregnancies. It is made with an organic cotton sateen cover and is filled with organic wool. This pillow is firm yet very comfortable. All of my babies have loved to be nursed with it as well as lounge in it constantly.
There are a couple of different options available.
- The organic version is made with GOTS-certified organic materials. You can choose to purchase it with or without an organic outer case. The outer case is a really nice thing to have since it is machine washable, just in case your baby spits up or even if your pillow is prone to getting dirty.
- If you are looking to save a little bit of money Holy Lamb Organics also sells a natural version that is made with natural cotton sateen and natural wool. Normally, I would not recommend buying a non-organic cotton/wool pillow, however; Holy Lamb Organics is well known for its safe high-quality products. I know that the natural version of the pillow is completely safe, natural, and non-toxic. The natural version also comes with or without a removable case.
The pillow itself is spot clean only, and it is recommended to put it out in the sunshine to revitalize and refresh your pillow on occasion. The Holy Lamb Organics Bo Peep pillow is a really great choice for an organic nursing pillow and I can guarantee you that you will not be disappointed if you choose this nursing pillow.
Blessed Nest Nesting Pillow
The Blessed Nest Nesting Pillow is another really great nursing pillow, especially if you are a fan of pretty colors and patterns. This pillow is more of a crescent shape, which you may prefer over having a nursing pillow that wraps completely around you.
Naturally, it is made from all GOTS-certified organic materials and is a little bit softer than some other nursing pillows. The pillow is filled with organic buckwheat hulls, resulting in a soft comfortable pillow that actually conforms to your baby’s shape making it more comfortable and helping to keep your baby in the best nursing position possible.
The inner pillow is made from organic cotton canvas, is safe to spot clean, and can then be thrown in the dryer for a short period of time. While the outer cover is machine washable and is easy to take off and put back on again. You can also purchase additional organic slipcovers separately if you want an extra for laundry days or if you are like me and can’t decide which pattern you like more.
This pillow is such a great choice for nursing, tummy time, and lounging and the patterns are so much fun!
Magnolia Organics Nursing Nest
The Magnolia Organics Nursing Nest is a super affordable completely organic option that you are going to love! Magnolia Organics sells some of my favorite organic home products and this nursing pillow is no exception. It is made from a certified organic cotton exterior and filled with organic buckwheat hulls. Which makes it comfortable for your baby and also for you.
It comes with an exterior case that can be easily washed. And because the cotton used for the cover is a more dense fabric it protects the pillow from things like mold and dust mites.
This is a really great affordable option for an organic nursing pillow.
Design Dua Organic Kapok Nursing Pillow
If you prefer a nursing pillow that is filled with fluffy kapok, then this organic nursing pillow from Design Dua is a perfect choice. The outside of the pillow is a heavy cotton canvas and it comes with a GOTS-certified organic cotton cover.
The best part about this pillow is that it is completely machine washable and tumble-dried on low. This pillow is so soft and cushiony that your baby will love to spend many hours on it, whether for feeding time or tummy time.
Wool Roots Nursing Pillow
The Wool Roots Nursing Pillow is a really great wool-filled nursing pillow. The Wool is Oexo-Tex certified and is completely free from all chemicals and synthetic materials. The outer case comes in your choice of either: cotton, linen, or wool. It also comes with a GOTS-certified organic jersey cotton cover, as well as a storage bag-which is really really great!
This nursing pillow is very generously sized at 29 inches long so you can be sure that your baby will be using it for a long time to come.
Sustainable Baby Company Moonwomb
This organic nursing pillow from the Sustainable Baby Company is so much fun. There is definitely a reason why they call it the Moonwomb. It is actually in the shape of a moon and is so pretty and functional. It has some really nice features as well.
- Because it is great for pregnancy as well as postpartum when you are feeding your baby, this nursing pillow is much bigger than any other pillow of its kind. It measures 33 inches long.
- It comes with a convenient pocket that is designed to hold removable aromatherapy sachets of lavender and chamomile if you choose the aromatherapy option.
- The pillow comes in a wide variety of color options and you can also buy the additional covers separately.
- The size also makes it very convenient for nursing twins as well.
The Moonwomb is made from all locally sourced organic and sustainable materials and is filled with organic buckwheat hulls. It is biodegradable and naturally mold and dust mite resistant. The shape of the pillow is not only aesthetically pleasing but is also highly functional.
DIY Nursing Pillow
It is actually pretty easy to make your own nursing pillow. You only need a few items (of course only use certified organic) and you can probably put one together in a few short minutes or maybe a couple of hours, depending on which option you choose.
- The easy option: buy a GOTS-certified organic cotton nursing cover, like this one, and fill it with the filling of your choice. Organic cotton, wool, kapok, shredded latex, or organic buckwheat hulls are all good choices. You could even mix 2 or more of these if you prefer. Fill it to your desired firmness and zip it up.
- The more advanced option: Cut out the shape that you want your pillow to be out of organic fabric. Most nursing pillows are approximately 25 inches long, but you can make yours in whatever size and shape you want. That’s the advantage of making your own. Once you have your pattern made and you cut it out of the fabric, the rest is super easy.
- Step 1: sew your fabric around the outside edge leaving about a 1/4″ inseam. Make sure you sew with the right sides inside and the sides of your fabric that will wind up on the inside should be on the outside when sewing. Be sure to leave an opening of a couple of inches to fill.
- Step 2: Flip your fabric right side out through the small opening. Now fill your pillow with whatever natural and organic materials you choose. Make it as firm or as soft as you like.
- Step 3: Finally, sew your opening shut and you are all ready to use your wonderful handmade nursing pillow.
My favorite place to buy organic materials is from organic cotton plus. They also sell a lot of their stuff on Amazon as well.
Other Uses for Nursing PIllows
Believe it or not, a nursing pillow is actually a very versatile pillow, that has more uses than just during feeding sessions.
- tummy time: Nursing pillows are a great accessory for babies during tummy time.
- pregnancy pillow: I love to use my nursing pillow for sleeping while pregnant. It has been especially useful now that I am in my third trimester. It makes turning from side to side much easier and more comfortable.
- baby lounger: Babies love to lay inside the middle of the pillow and just relax and possibly take a nap. As always, never leave your baby unattended while laying on the pillow.
- toddler floor pillow: I don’t know if this is actually a thing or not, but my toddlers love to put my nursing pillow on the floor and sit in the middle of it while they read books. It actually makes for a cute little floor cushion.
Organic Nursing Pillows are a great addition to every baby registry and also make a really great baby shower gift for an expecting mom. All of these nursing pillows are really great options and will make feeding your baby, whether breastfeeding or bottle feeding, so much easier and more comfortable. An organic, natural nursing pillow is a perfect nursing pillow!
Related organic baby posts
The Best Non-Toxic and organic nursing pillows: 7 Great Options for nursing your baby